logo for chicagovelo.com

Edgewater Bike Tour part 5

 

5430 - 5432 N Winthrop 

5430-5432 N Winthrop

A unique building for the area and for John Cochran specifically.  Built in 1892, this represents amongst the first of any type of combined housing by Cochran, who exclusively sold lots or built speculative single family homes.  The center bay is split between the two homes.

 

5428 N Winthrop

5428 N Winthrop

1904

 

5422 N Winthrop 

5422 N Winthrop

1896

 

Steep Theatre Company
1115 W Berwyn

Steep Theatre Company

This independent theater company specializes in ensemble plays about the average person.

 

5249 N Kenmore 

5249 N Kenmore

1890s, Douglas S. Pentecost

 

Epworth Methodist Church and Community House
5253 N Kenmore

Epworth Methodist Church 1

Epworth Methodist Church 2

Epworth Methodist Church 3

Epworth Methodist Church 4

Epworth Methodist Community House

Epworth Methodist Church and 5249 N Kenmore

The church was originally formed in 1889 as the Epworth Methodist Episcopal Church and the main section of the church was built in 1891 and designed by architect Frederick B. Townsend.  There was a 1930 addition and renovation done by Thielbar and Fugard.  The massive boulders used in the exterior walls came from Wisconsin and were floated down to Edgewater on Lake Michigan.  The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on June 10, 2008. 

 

5311-5329 N Kenmore

5311-5329 N Kenmore 1

5311-5329 N Kenmore 2

5311-5329 N Kenmore 3

 

Lakewood –Balmoral District

Lakewood, Magnolia and Wayne, or from Broadway to Glenwood and from Foster to Bryn Mawr, immediately east of Andersonville.  The area was listed in the National Register of Historic Places as a historic district on February 22, 1999. 

In 1890, John Lewis Cochran added to his developments by purchasing a new swath of land from present day Broadway to Glenwood and from Foster to Bryn Mawr which would become Cochran’s Third Development.  Today it is called Lakewood-Balmoral and sits directly east of Andersonville.  This development was designed to offer smaller lots and properties that could both house a family, as well as provide rental income.  While the strategy eventually paid off, development was slow at first as the area struggled without more transportation options.  Cochran eventually formed the Northwestern Elevated Railway Company and added a streetcar along present day Broadway to help connect his developments to the city.  He aided his efforts through advertising and producing booklets to describe the homes being built or able to be built in the area, and over time the development became more and more populated, transforming from undeveloped land and farmland, to a dense residential neighborhood.

 

St. Ita’s Church
5500 N Broadway/1220 W Catalpa

St. Ita's Church 1

St. Ita's Church 2

St. Ita's Church 3

St. Ita's Church 4

St. Ita's Church 5

St. Ita's Church 6

St. Ita's Church 7

St. Ita's Convent

Built in 1927 and designed by Henry J. Schlacks the French Gothic St. Ita’s Church is made from Bedford Indiana limestone and stands a full 95 feet tall. The congregation was formed in 1900 and for some time, met at The Guild Hall.

 

5534 N Magnolia

5534 N Magnolia

 

5520 N Magnolia

5520 N Magnolia

 

5516 N Magnolia

5516 N Magnolia

 

5510 N Magnolia

5510 N Magnolia

 

5506 N Magnolia

5506 N Magnolia

 

5444 N Magnolia

5444 N Magnolia

Built in 1898, for John Cochran’s third development by builders Carlsen and Nelson in a Queen Anne style. 

 

P.S. Magee House
5440 N Magnolia

5440 N Magnolia

1901,William Strippelman

 

5439 N Magnolia

5439 N Magnolia

 

5425 N Magnolia 

5425 N Magnolia

1890s  

 

5422 N Magnolia

5422 N Magnolia

 

5402 N Magnolia

5402 N Magnolia

 

Unity Lutheran Church
5401 W Magnolia

Unity Lutheran Church 1

Unity Lutheran Church 2

Unity Lutheran Church began in 1905 and was originally housed in a storefront on Argyle Street.  The following year, they built a small chapel at the corner of Balmoral and Magnolia designed  by Norwegian immigrant and congregation member, Ivar Viehe-Naess who also designed the neo-Gothic Sanctuary in 1916. Viehe-Naess was a graduate of the Chicago School of Architecture and worked for Daniel Burnham from 1900 to 1912.  Viehe-Naess also oversaw the remodeling of the church many years later in 1940.  The Sanctuary’s builder was Robert Christiansen who was also a member of Unity’s Congregation. 

 

Arthur Deppman House
5356 N Magnolia

Arthur Deppman House

Built in 1904 and designed by George W. Maher.

 

5351-5353 N Magnolia

5351 - 5353 N Magnolia

 

H. Mark Flat
5344 N Magnolia 

5344 N Magnolia

1913, Henry L. Newhouse

 

5331 N Magnolia

5331 N Magnolia

 

5322 N Magnolia

5322 N Magnolia

 

5311 N Magnolia

5311 N Magnolia

 

5310-5312 N Magnolia

5310 - 5312 N Magnolia

 

5247 N Magnolia 

5247 N Magnolia

1899, Harvey L. Page and Co., Classical

 

5214 N Lakewood

5214 N Lakewood

1898

 

5218 N Lakewood

5218 N Lakewood

1899, Neils Buck, Queen Anne

 

Herman C. Lammers House
5222 N Lakewood 

Herman C. Lammers House

Julius Huber was one of a dozen architects that John Cochran hired to build houses on speculation in Lakewood-Balmoral.  Like John Pridmore, Huber was also an Edgewater resident, and did a great deal of his work in Edgewater.  This one was originally built in 1898 but the building first received an addition in 1901 and later underwent a 1911 remodeling by Hatzfeld and Knox leaving it looking closer to how it does now.  It was originally done in a simple Queen Anne style.  The Edgewater Historical Society refers to the original owner as Gustav Lammers.

 

5223 N Lakewood

5223 N Lakewood

1899, Neils Buck, Queen Anne

 

5226 N Lakewood    

5226 N Lakewood

 

North Shore Baptist Church
5244 N Lakewood

North Shore Baptist Church 1

North Shore Baptist Church 2

North Shore Baptist Church 3

Formed in 1905, the North Shore Baptist Church build its first new church at Lakewood and Berwyn in 1921. The building at 5244 housed the sanctuary and offices.  The home at 5240 N Lakewood was purchased as an annex and named for Pauline Kraft, the wife of J.L. Kraft, the founder of Kraft foods.  The remaining portions of the church were built in the fifties.

 

5313 N Lakewood 

5313 N Lakewood

It is unknown which of Cochran’s many architects designed this spec house, but it was completed in 1903.

 

5319 N Lakewood 

5319 N Lakewood

1900s, Carl M. Almquist

 

5332 N Lakewood

5332 N Lakewood

1894, Julius Huber

 

5333 - 5335 N Lakewood

5333 - 5335 N Magnolia

1898, built by A. Collander for John Cochran.

 

5343 N Lakewood

5343 N Lakewood

1895, Queen Anne home that won the Chicago Painted Ladies Award and has been featured in Better Homes and Gardens.  Built for Cochran, it is speculated that it may be the design work of George Maher who worked on a number of Cochran’s developments after he parted ways with Joseph Lyman Silsbee, his earlier principal architect.

 

5344 N Lakewood

5344 N Lakewood

1894, Julius Huber, Queen Anne

 

Angelica Holzaffel House
5347 N Lakewood 

Angelica Holzaffel House

1910 Craftsman home designed by Leon E. Stanhope.

 

5348 N Lakewood

5348 N Lakewood

 

5352 N Lakewood

5352 N Lakewood

1893, Queen Anne

 

5353 N Lakewood

5353 N Lakewood

 

5356 N Lakewood

5356 N Lakewood

 

5400 N Lakewood

5400 N Lakewood

 

5410 N Lakewood

5410 N Lakewood

 

5418 N Lakewood

5418 N Lakewood

 

5422 N Lakewood

5422 N Lakewood

An 1898 or 1899 home in John Cochran’s third development in a Stick Victorian style.

 

5423 N Lakewood

5423 N Lakewood

In 1899, John Cochran used drawings of this Queen Anne house in a booklet he published called “A Home by the Lake” to help sell the homes and lots in his third development, present day Lakewood-Balmoral.

 

5426 N Lakewood 

5426 N Lakewood

1893, Queen Anne

 

5434 N Lakewood

5434 N Lakewood

 

V.C. Hauser House
5435 N Lakewood

V. C. Hauser House

1907, A. Hanson – contractor, American Foursquare

 

5438 N Lakewood

5438 N Lakewood

 

5439 N Lakewood

5439 N Magnolia

1904, Boostrom R. Olson – builder, Arts and Crafts style meets Dutch Colonial.  Done for Cochran’s third development and one of three on this street using this plan, the others at 5313 and 5413.

 

5447 N Lakewood

5447 N Lakewood

 

5452 N Lakewood

5452 N Lakewood

 

Patrick H. McNulty House
5453 N Lakewood 

Patrick H. McNulty House

The front presents almost like Colonial Revival meets American Foursquare about five years early in a 1898 Holabird and Roche designed home for Cochran.

 

1252 W Catalpa

1252 W Catalpa

 

5531 N Wayne

5531 N Wayne

 

5526 N Wayne

5526 N Wayne

In 1899 Cochran contracted the architectural team of Murphy and Camp to build what was one of the earliest homes on the street.  Using pink granite for the foundation and a unique curved third-story dormer, the home is unique from top to bottom. 

 

 

<PREVIOUS    1    2    3    4    5    6    7    NEXT>

 

 

Chicago Neighborhood Bike Tours

Neighborhood Search

Return to Chicago Velo Home Page